Sunday, April 29, 2012

Reading List: First Quarter, 2012

When my university exams ended on mid-June, 2011, I decided to inculcate a habit of writing down all the books read (and also films watched) every month in a diary. Adding to the list after reading every book motivated me immensely to plunge into the next one. On New Year's eve, I discovered that I had read 56 books from June through December (some titles reread after years). The reading pace has slackened slightly this year primarily due to work and other distractions, but I am still keeping a steady pace. Even as I maintain my physical diary, I have decided to copy it online, primarily in a bid to inspire me even more, and partly to show-off to my imaginary, non-existent readership. Since the first four months of the year have passed already, I am compiling my list into a quarter. Cheers to the printed word!

April, 2012


1. Memories of my Melancholy Whores - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
2. The Hour of the Star - Clarice Lispector
3. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold - John le Carre

March


1. Goodbye to All That - Robert Graves
2. Confidence - Henry James
3. The American - Henry James
4. Loreley - Heinrich Heine

February


1. Collected Short Stories - Truman Capote
2. The Glass Harp - Truman Capote
3. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote
4. Amader Bari - Chhanda Sen*

January


1. If on a Winter's Night a Traveler - Italo Calvino
2. A Year in Provence - Peter Mayle
3. Daisy Miller - Henry James
4. Selected Stories - Henry James
5. The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I also read the bi-monthly editions of the Bengali journal Desh.

*This book was kindly lent to me by my wonderful German teacher. It is written by her sister, solely to preserve the stories of their family for the future generations. I was given privy to the late nineteenth-early twentieth century world of an illustrious family in North Calcutta; the food they so happily shared; the music they lent their voices to; the people who walked out of the pages of history and got a more human form inside the walls of their house; of love and warm familial feelings that survived when most other material things didn't. The book is, naturally,  not available for sale, and was circulated only within the members of the family.




1 comment:

  1. Memories of my Melancholy Whores - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

    i love this!

    ReplyDelete